Wauwatosa Wisconsin History
Against Racism in Policing, "was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio. Wauwatosa: The Latest Wisconsin City Grapple, is part of a series of articles about the history of the city's police department and its history in Wisconsin.
The city is named after the fireflies that still light up summer nights and for its location on the shores of Lake Wauwatosa, the state's largest lake.
It took the name of West Allis after being incorporated as a village on May 31, 1902 (census 1018), and while the northern part, including later Wauwatosa, was shortened by the city of Milwaukee, the southern part became a "lakeside town" in 1881. North Milwaukee (merged with Milwaukee in 1929) was incorporated into the city of Wausauosa in 1956, which no longer exists. Gridley lived in the basement and first floor until 1925, when he purchased the property at what is now W Kauffman Avenue and Wright Street. Meanwhile, the Tosa Dairy Company sold the successful dairy business he had built up from that Milwaukee-area location to the Milwaukee-area location.
The property was sold to Caroline Schultz in 1912, who sold it the following year to Emerson D. Hoyt. A two-storey brick building was built on the property, with additional buildings added. Shortly after, a three-story building was built, and the property consisted of a hilly, wooded natural landscape of hills and forests bordered by W Kauffman Avenue and Wright Street.
Once a profit-making institution, the facility became a nonprofit in 1954 and changed its name to Milwaukee Psychiatric Hospital in 1964. The name was changed to Lutheran Children's Friends Society of Wisconsin to better reflect the evolution of the organization. In 1998, a former high school campus was added at the corner of W. Kauffman Avenue and Wright Street in the heart of downtown Wauwatosa. A post office building that used to stand on the north side of Wright Avenue, north of Kauffman Street, is still standing and serves as a fast-track service station for the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Department.
The name of the organization was recorded the next day at the Milwaukee County Courthouse and recorded on July 1, 1964 as the Lutheran Children's Friends Society of Wisconsin.
Many of the old township records are now housed in the Wisconsin History Museum of the Wisconsin Historical Society at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Check out the collection of historic photos housed in the Wauwatosa County Historical Museum on the Madison University campus. More than 6,000 names are listed, covering the period in which the cemetery was actively used.
Atlases of fire insurance from 1876 - 1910, updated in 1962, are in the Wauwatosa County Historical Museum on the campus of the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee.
Learn about the events leading up to the 1967 Fair Housing Demonstration and see what students, faculty, and staff at the University of Milwaukee have developed. See what you can find at the Wauwatosa County Historical Museum on the University of Wisconsin campus in Milwaukee. Learn more about Wisconsin's history as a city, state, county, and county in Wisconsin.
Memories of Milwaukee County, including its early history to the present, from Mayor Emil Seidel and Carl Sandburg stand outside the Wauwatosa County Courthouse on the campus of the University of Wisconsin.
Read an article by Anthony Brinkman about John Gurda Walker and his love for Milwaukee in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Bill Glauber and Walker Haley appeared on this blog, as did a post on the Wauwatosa County Historical Society's Facebook page.
Milwaukee Psychiatric Hospital was founded in 1884 in Wauwatosa and was originally called the Milwaukee Sanitarium for the treatment of nervous disorders. The small settlement of Honey Creek experienced its first industrial development in the 1880s, when the Chicago and Northwestern Railways were built. At the site, construction of a huge facility was started, which served as a spur line between the two tracks.
Several names have been proposed for the city, including Rushville and Bridgeport, in a nod to the New York roots of the settlers. The city of Kinnickinnic (later Franklin and Greenfield) was founded in 1839, followed by Wauwatosa (1842) and then Wausau (1850). In 1892, the village of Wauatosa was incorporated into the city of Wurttown and on 27 May 1897 it was transformed into the town of Wauwosa.
On April 2, 1906, Governor J.O. Davidson declared the village of West Allis the capital of the state of Wisconsin and the first city in the United States of America. Emerson Hoyt obtained a special deed to make Wauwosa a city under his name to help rebuild the old Wurttown Public Library, the oldest public library in Wisconsin. When it was too late for him, Sandburg was sent to present the building to the city library board of trustees. On April 1, 1908, Hoyt was elected first mayor with the help of his brother-in-law, Henry Hoy, and his wife, Mary.